Roman Numerals is an old decimal numeric system which represents the numbers as combinations of the following Latin letters: I, V, X, L, C, D, M (Roman Numerals Symbols). By using combinations of these symbols it is possible to record Roman Numeral Numbers. This system based on 7 Roman Numeral Symbols was invented and used by the Romans starting from the 7th - the 6th century BC and almost till the late Middle Ages. In our times, Roman Numerals are sometimes used for scientific (especially in chemistry, pharmacy, photography, seismology, etc) and some daily purposes (for example, in the names of the monarchs, on the clock face, for page numbering, etc.)
At this website, you can make Roman Numerals Conversion by using our online Roman Numerals Converter, as well as a number of the most commonly used Roman Numerals Charts, including the ones for 1-10, 1-20, 1-100, and 100 - 1000. This Roman Numerals Converter is very simple and user-friendly, and in order to make a fast Roma Numeral Conversion, just enter the number to the box on the right and press 'Convert to Roman' button.
Roman Numerals Examples
These are some examples of Roman numerals:
- The current year is 2023, and it is written as MMXXIII with Roman Numeral symbols.
- Year 2017 is written as MMXVII with Roman Numeral symbols.
- Time 12:00 with roman numerals must be written as XII.
- Time 08:00 with roman numerals must be written as VIII.
Roman Numerals in films
An American horror movie series Saw, directed by James Wan, use Roman Numerals in their titles: Saw II, Saw III, Saw IV, Saw V, Saw VI.
Also a space opera movie series Star Wars use Roman Numerals: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.
The Godfather sequels, inspired by the novel of Mario Puzo, numbered with Roman Numerals: The Godfather Part II, The Godfather Part III.
Also Sylvester Stallone's Rocky sequels came with Latin numbers: Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, Rocky V.
Roman Numerals in Monarchs
Roman numerals are used to distinguish monarchs with the same name. These are some famous names:
- John III Sobieski was king of Poland and born in 1629.
- Elizabeth II is the queen of the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries such as Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
- Cyrus II, also known as Cyrus the Great was the founder of the Achaemenian Empire.
- King Louis XIV of France, also known as Louis le Grand, was born in 1638. He ruled the country during the one of its most powerful times.
- Henry V of England, was king of his country from 1413 until 1422.
Roman Numerals in Olympic Games
Roman Numerals are also used to identify sporting events. For example, the Olympic Games, the world's foremost sports competition use Roman Numerals.
A four-year period indicated by Roman Numerals of which the first Olympics in 1896 initiated Olympiad I.
Here are some examples:
- The Games of the XXXI Olympiad (i.e. 31st), also known as The 2016 Summer Olympics were held in Rio de Janeiro.
- XXIII Olympic Winter Games, also known as The 2018 Winter Olympics took place in Pyeongchang County, Gangwon Province, South Korea.
- The Games of the I Olympiad, held in Athens was the first modern international Olympic Games in our history. It took place in 1896, as MDCCCXCVI with Roman Numerals.
- The XXVII Olympiads (i.e. 27th) began on September 15, 2000 in Sydney.
- The Games of the XXXII Olympiad, also known as The 2020 Summer Olympics were scheduled to be held in Tokyo.
- The 1924 Summer Olympics, alternatively known as the Games of the VIII Olympiad were hosted in Paris. And it was the second time for the city, after 1900.
Apple Uses a Roman Numeral for iPhone X
Apple iPhone X is an Apple's tenth anniversary smartphone that was released on October 2017. It is also known as Apple iPhone 10 or Apple iPhone Ten.
X indicates the ten in Roman Numerals and this amazing phone has advanced features such as incredible screen and design with stainless steel frame and dust/water resistance ability. Also it comes with a surprise: it has no home button.
There is no doubt iPhone X is the best phone ever (so far) developed and marketed by Apple Inc.
Roman Numerals in Major Arcana Cards
Roman numerals are also used in the Major Arcana cards in a tarot deck. There are 22 Major Arcana cards. And all except the first one have Roman Numerals. Each card also has a name. And all of them symbolize the cosmic forces.
- (0) The Fool
- I The Magician
- II The High Priestess
- III The Empress
- IV The Emperor
- V The Hierophant
- VI The Lovers
- VII The Chariot
- VIII Justice
- IX The Hermit
- X The Wheel of Fortune
- XI Strength
- XII The Hanged Man
- XIII Death
- XIV Temperance
- XV The Devil
- XVI The Tower
- XVII The Star
- XVIII The Moon
- XIX The Sun
- XX Judgement
- XXI The World
Watch Time Numbers in Roman Numerals
In clock faces and watches, numbers are represented by these Roman Numerals:
I: 1, II: 2, III: 3, IIII: 4, V: 5, VI: 6, VII: 7, VIII: 8, IX: 9, X: 10, XI: 11, XII: 12
As you notice, the numeral 4 is written as Roman Numeral IIII, not IV. The actual Roman numeral is IV of course, but the IIII can also be used. You can see this usage in a lot of modern and old clocks and watches. But it is not a universal form. For example, Big Ben in London uses a regular IV for four o'clock.
Roman Numerals Various Examples
- The Wall is one of the best selling albums of all time by Pink Floyd and it was released in 1979. It is written as MCMLXXIX with Roman Numeral symbols.
- A charter of liberties known as Magna Carta Libertatum was signed in 1215. It is written as MCCXV with Roman Numerals.
- 1789 as MDCCLXXXIX, the beginning of The French Revolution. It ended the absolute monarchy in French. And in 1792 as MDCCXCII, the French Republic was founded.
- 1859 as MDCCCLIX, the publication date of “The Origin of Species” by Charles Darwin. It is also the beginning of modern biology.
- The Grapes of Wrath, a novel by American author John Steinbeck was published in 1939. It is written as MCMXXXIX in Roman Numerals.
- 2001 as MMI, the start of the 21st century and the third millennium.
- 1983 is the year that American singer Michael Jackson recorded "Thriller". This year is written as MCMLXXXIII in Roman Numerals.
- Instagram, a popular worldwide social networking service was launched in 2010. This free photo and video sharing app was created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger. You can write 2010 as MMX in Roman Numerals.
The Super Bowls and Roman Numerals
Super Bowl is the championship game of the National Football League (NFL) in USA. It is an annual game which is hosted by a different city. Super Bowl uses Roman numerals to identify each game. For example, Super Bowl I was played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on January 15, 1967. And at this first game, The NFL’s champion Green Bay Packers defeated the AFL’s champion Kansas City Chiefs, 35–10. The recent Super Bowl LII was played in U.S. Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, Minneapolis on Sunday, February 4, 2018. The game was the fifty-second Super Bowl to determine the champion of the NFL for the 2017 season. As you can see, LII is 52 in Roman numerals.
Roman Numerals symbols
Roman Numerals 1 to 10
Roman Numerals Symbols
Roman numerals can also be written with the unicode symbols as follows.
|Ⅰ||Roman Numeral One||Ⅰ||Ⅰ|
|Ⅱ||Roman Numeral Two||Ⅱ||Ⅱ|
|Ⅲ||Roman Numeral Three||Ⅲ||Ⅲ|
|Ⅳ||Roman Numeral Four||Ⅳ||Ⅳ|
|Ⅴ||Roman Numeral Five||Ⅴ||Ⅴ|
|Ⅵ||Roman Numeral Six||Ⅵ||Ⅵ|
|Ⅶ||Roman Numeral Seven||Ⅶ||Ⅶ|
|Ⅷ||Roman Numeral Eight||Ⅷ||Ⅷ|
|Ⅸ||Roman Numeral Nine||Ⅸ||Ⅸ|
|Ⅹ||Roman Numeral Ten||Ⅹ||Ⅹ|
|Ⅺ||Roman Numeral Eleven||Ⅺ||Ⅺ|
|Ⅻ||Roman Numeral Twelve||Ⅻ||Ⅻ|
|Ⅼ||Roman Numeral Fifty||Ⅼ||Ⅼ|
|Ⅽ||Roman Numeral One Hundred||Ⅽ||Ⅽ|
|Ⅾ||Roman Numeral Five Hundred||Ⅾ||Ⅾ|
|Ⅿ||Roman Numeral One Thousand||Ⅿ||Ⅿ|
CCL = 250
what is 0.5 in roman numerals
est.MCMLXXVI What does this mean ?
NFL Around the World Country 242 Teams
Can't find this number MClll
I couldn't see the example which is key to using roman numerals a smaller number after a number adds eg. VI which is six IV subtracts which equals four. The same applies to all 7 numerals. I hope this helps someone. Improve addition and subtraction and be fine.
And for a higher place value than M, a line over a letter means times 1,000
For alt codes look at the decimal code numbers and type those after holding alt
Stop posting numbers with 4 of the same letter in a row their value is indistinguishable.
From what I know, 4000 is MMMCMXCIX + I
give my code and alt to keyboad
3999 is the highest number
My guess grandfather clocks use IIII instead of IV is this. 4 being below 3 on the clock is thus displayed upside down. IIII is the same upside down as right side up and thus IIII easier to read upside down than IV.
hey john, its 401 because you are subtracting 100 from 500 and adding 1 so its 401.
what is MCMLXVII
How do you write 2903 in Roman numerals?
VIII XII MCMLXV = 8 12 1965
Why is 401 written as CDI? Confusing since C is 100 and D is 500.
This website is amazing!
thank you very cool kanye
XCI=91 IS MY FAVORITE ROMAN NUMERAL
Max: He Was A Good Dog 1997-2011
Thank you solving my problems
MATH IS THE BEST
Can anyone guess what MMDCLXXVIII is?
Is mcmlxxx1 1981
What does MCMCX111 looklike
I have SATs in a couple of weeks, THANKS!!!!!
Tiffany Chu - XVI = 16 that is 6 [5(V)+1(I) or (VI)] after 10 (X) = 16
The before and after sequencing is important.
Can someone tell me the Roman numbers to 20/2/2018 please if anyone knows them x
550 in Roman Numerals is DL
You can write 16 as XVI in Roman Numerals
Very useful. Thank you.
Great info, but How do you write 16 as a Roman numeral?
what is MCXXIIIIVVMCX
Love it bros
this is awesome and useful! bookmarked and saved for sure!
IIII = IV
Mandela Effect ...
One of the best(no nonsense) examples I've ever seen online. If you are literate and know simple math then you can learn Roman numerals in 5 minutes with this information. Great stuff
OUTSTANDING Info. Thanks.
what is MMMXCII IN ROMAN NUMERALS
Love this web page. Great info.
:)#love roman numerals
I love math and I love to have more idears on it especially on ROMAN NUMBERS.